5 Simple Ways to Keep your Data Secure Online
September 14th, 2018
Keeping your online data secure doesn’t have to be difficult and you don’t have to dramatically alter your usual online behaviour. Here are a few simple tips for keeping your data safe, secure, and anonymous.
- Install updates for your browser and operating system as soon as they become available. These updates may seem like a nuisance but often fix bugs that would otherwise put your personal data at risk. The heartbleed incident was an example of how a simple programming error can put users data at risk but can be easily fixed with an update.
- Change your passwords regularly. Hacking programmes can break most passwords in a matter of minutes. A good password is at least 8 characters, avoids real words or phrases, uses upper and lower case letters, numbers and keyboard symbols. No matter how good your password is, it must be changed regularly.
- Use a Virtual Private Network that will hide your IP and protect your data from snoopers and hackers, particularly useful when using public wifi. Your IP can give away critical information that can be used to steal your data.
- The less data you give, the less that can be stolen. There is currently no way to be 100% secure on the internet, but keeping the data you share to a minimum is the best way to reduce risk of data theft.
- Encryption protects your data while it is being transferred. It is normally used when transferring data during a purchase. Encrypting your data all the time creates that helps keep it safe. When making purchases or using other HTTPS secured service, encryption adds another layer of security. Encrypt your data with ease with a reliable VPN.
Even if those steps are very simple they have a tremendous effect. Everybody should be aware of the threats online and as a privacy company we cannot remind people often enough.